The overall project activities are shown in Fig. 1 below. It includes three important aspects to realize the vision and objectives of the project – Technology, tools, and demonstration. The project activities are covered by six work packages WP1 to WP6, in addition to a project management work package WP0. Please refer to the appendix file in title of “APETT schedule” about the Gantt chart, including work packages, time schedule, allocated resources, and milestones.
Fig. 1 The overall project activities of APETT
The descriptions of the work package are as below:
WP0 – Project management
A steering committee, commercialization advisory board, and a team of work package leaders will be established. The steering committee will have two meetings per year to evaluate the progress of the project and to ensure that the main project goals and objectives will be achieved toward the project. The project requires regular feedback from business and marketing sectors to address new market demand and its influence on the power electronics business. Monthly meeting will be held for work package leaders to discuss the daily project management.
WP1 – System architecture definition and analysis
Key methods: Get overview of solution space for packaging, designs and topologies. Identify concept candidates and establish system architecture understanding to run succeeding work packages.
WP2 – Integrated hardware blocks and solutions
Key methods: Investigate key technologies required for product demonstrators in WP6.3 to WP6.6
WP3 – System level reliability and robustness
1) Field mission profile collection – with database from industry partners in real market.
2) Multi-time scale and multiple-stressors modeling – take into account time scales from ns to years and stressors of temperature, humidity, voltage, current, and vibration;
3) Reliability Block Diagram method and Weibull distribution with time-varying hazard rate.
4) Machine learning algorithms - real-time intrinsic parameter extraction for condition monitoring.
5) Robustness design.
WP4 – Resource-effective verification testing
- Key methods: Mission profile based testing – traditional accelerated testing is based on a constant stress profile, which is not closely relevant to practical application.
WP5 – DfR2 tool platform
Key methods: 1) Reduced order modeling – provide computational-efficient interfaces among different level of tools. 2) Co-evolutionary multi-swarm Particle Swarm Optimization method – for multi-objective design of power electronic systems.